Friday, January 18, 2013

Drinking In The "Blues"

January....
          It's that time of year again that many Northern Mid-westerners least look forward to. 

"Why?", you may ask.
         Well, because the weather is usually bitter cold and the sky is dismal gray practically every day!
            
Even though we are now past the first day of winter(December 21st) and daylight hours are getting longer again, it seems like this time of year drags on and on!! It also often brings out the "blues" in people who suffer from an illness called "Seasonal Affective Disorder."  I've never been diagnosed, but I think that I have a small case of this disorder, as I often start to experience a few of the symptoms that are associated with it this time of year.(Less energy and ability to concentrate, loss of interest in work or other activities, sluggish movements, irritability) 
As a beach and sun-lover, you may ask why I continue to live in this part of the country. Well, if I win the lottery or come upon a large amount of cash, you can be sure I'll be moving. Until then (or at least until my hubby retires and we can spend the coldest winter months vacationing in the south) I'm stuck having the winter blues.

There are a few things I do to try to counter-act my symptoms.... like get enough exercise, sleep, eating healthy foods, taking some appropriate herbs and vitamins, and getting some light. (Some people go to the tanning booth, but I have a "happy light" that I purchased a few years ago and sit in front of a few minutes each day).
I also drink a cup of tea or two every day. Tea, especially black tea is naturally caffeinated, which increases energy. It also has possible benefits, such as reduced risk of stroke, reduced production of LDL - the "bad" cholesterol that can lead to stroke and heart attacks, and may even contribute to a reduced risk of coronary heart disease by as much as fifty percent. (source)

 On top of dealing with the blues, I also recently had a physical setback. A week ago I tore cartilage in my knee and had to have arthroscopic surgery. So, I have been laid up and trying to heal from that, as well. 

 Today, as I drank out of my blue teacup and pot, I hoped to drink out "my blues".  (O.K., I know that's a bit of a stretch, but I'm trying to make a connection here!)
  ...along with a couple of my favorite peanut butter cookies!
My teapot came from Hobby Lobby, one of my favorite craft and decorating stores!
The teacup is a family heirloom on my father's side. The blue and white inkwell came from an antique store. I use it to keep track of my favorite journaling pen.

  I also grabbed a book to read by my window, and took time to write in my journal.
 Even though I don't like it, sometimes a little rest and recuperation is required.
One thing's for sure...even when it's cold and gray outside,
there's always beauty to be found!


Ann
“Better joy in a cottage than sorrow in a palace” Spanish Proverb

  Linking up at these blog hops:

8 comments:

  1. I have had issues this time of year all my life as I get bored easily. We have sunshine every day - we are brats about sunshine. I love my garden and miss it! I bake alot more and work full time.

    Your border is very pretty here on your blog. Thanks for linking and take care of that knee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would LOVE to have sunshine every day! Waiting for spring to come is really difficult. I'm already starting to look at garden ideas. Thanks for stopping over.

      Delete
  2. What lovely photos of the geese and swan!

    When I used to live further north, I "indulged" in tanning booths right around March. Amazing what a difference they make. I always went on my way smiling and singing, oblivious to everyone else's long face. :-)

    Blessings for a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a struggle for so many people here. I hate shopping at WalMart because everyone (even the employees) look so depressed. I try to keep a smile on my face and song in my heart, too!

      Delete
  3. Your pictures are wonderful, Ann! I would love to see a real swan! Pretty teapot and teacup too.
    Sorry about your knee and I hope it heals up quickly. I don't believe I have any disorder associated with wintertime blues as we have lots of sun here even in our winter climate. I do however tend to get fatigued very easily after Christmas. This year, Hubby and I flew out west to spend the holidays with our son and his family and since I got back, I have had a bad head cold and a sprained hand and wrist. But I am healing! Thank you for joining me and hope you're having a lovely weekend. Take care.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's understandable, Sandi, on being so tired! Sounds like you had an enjoyable, but eventful holiday. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!

      Delete
  4. beautiful photos, teapot and blues. Hoping you will be up and around and feeling 100 percent again soon. Thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things hop xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for popping over, Katie! As always, it's great to hear from you. Thanks for the wishes!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed!! (Except for anonymous users and spammers!)